Consultant Anaesthetist | MBBS FANZCA Grad Dip Clinical Ultrasound
Dr Tan is a Staff Consultant Anaesthetist with keen subspecialty interests in Pain medicine, Transoesophageal & Transthoracic Echocardiography, and Cardiac, Thoracic & Regional Anaesthesia.
He works at the The Austin hospital, a tertiary level 400 bed teaching hospital that is also home to the Victorian Liver Transplant Unit and Victorian Spinal Cord Service.
Dr Tan is active in anaesthesia research, continuing education and teaching, particularly in the rapidly expanding field of ultrasound applications in anaesthesia.
- MBBS Monash University
- FANZCA Australian & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists
- PostGraduate Diploma in Clinical Ultrasound Melbourne University
- ANZCA primary examination tutor (Austin Health)
- Ultrasound in Anaesthesia Course tutor (Austin Health)
Publications & Research
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. TZ. Koh, A. Daly, CO. Tan, W. Howard, A.Hardidge. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery – Reviews, Accepted for publication 27th January, 2014.
- Intraoperative Transoesophageal Echocardiographic Diagnosis and Successful Management of Mycotic Aortitis and Pseudoaneurysm. CO. Tan, L. Weinberg, P. Pillai, J. Fernandes. British Medical Journal Case Reports, 2013. doi:10.1136/bcr-2013-200675
- Resuscitation of Grade 4 anaphylaxis guided by transthoracic echocardiography. CO. Tan, G. Brace, L. Weinberg. Anaesthesia & Intensive Care, 2014 Jan; 42 (1): 144-145
- “Adhesive Pericarditis” – Intraoperative TEE diagnosis of combined impairment of systolic and diastolic function secondary to Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. CO. Tan, L. Lim, J. Fernandes, S. Seevanayagam, L. Weinberg.Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anaesthesia, 2013 Dec; 27 (6): e82-84
- Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiographic Assessment of the Right Heart and Associated Structures: A Comprehensive Update and Technical Report. CO. Tan, I. Harley. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anaesthesia, Epub ahead of print 4th
- Computerized Tomographic Anatomic Relationships of the Thoracic Paravertebral Space. CO. Tan, C. Botha, L. Weinberg, DA. Story, L. McNicol.Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anaesthesia, 2013 Dec; 27 (6): 1315-1320
- An Alternative Method of Transverse In-plane Ultrasound-guided Thoracic Paravertebral Block. CO. Tan, A. Nanuan, W. Howard, L. Weinberg.Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 2013 Mar; 41 (2): 268-9
- Dynamic ultrasound-guided, short axis, out-of-plane radial artery cannulation: the ‘follow the tip’ technique. SL. Goh, CO. Tan, L. Weinberg.Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 2013 May; 41 (3): 431-2
- Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection in Pregnancy Requiring Emergency Caesarean Delivery Followed by Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. L. Weinberg,M. Ong, CO. Tan, J. McDonnell, C. Lo, E. Chiam.Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 2013 Mar; 41 (2): 251-5
- Airway Strategies for Lung Isolation in a Patient with High-Velocity Nail Gun Injuries to the Right Cardiac Ventricle and Floor of the Mouth: A Case Report. H. Lim, L. Weinberg, CO. Tan, S. Tay, C. Kolivas, P. Peyton. Journal of Medical Case Reports 2013 May; 7: 137 Nov, 2013.