Preparing for your operation at Bellbird
Please complete the Pre-admission Booklet.
The Pre-Admission Booklet includes:
- Patient Registration Form
- Consent Form
- Patient Health History
These forms help us prepare you for your admission and will prevent delays and inconvenience your on arrival.
It is important that you complete these forms and ensure they arrive at the hospital at least 3 days prior to your admission.
Option for returning forms
- 198 Canterbury Road, Blackburn South 3130
In Person to Bellbird Hospital Reception:
- 7am to 8pm Monday to Friday
- 9am to 4pm Saturday and Sunday.
- (03) 98780855
On the Day of Admission
Please bring with you:
- All current medication in their original containers (no dosette boxes)
- All current x-rays or scans.
- Medicare card
- If applicable
- Health Insurance membership card,
- pharmaceutical entitlement card,
- pension/health card,
- DVA card.
- Letter of authorisation for treatment from Workcover company or TAC
- Means of payment for any out of pocket expenses (ie. Excess)
- Toiletries/ sleeping attire/ gown/ slippers
- Reading material
- Mobility aids
Please Do Not:
(Unless your doctor gives you special instruction)
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight for morning surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything after 7am for afternoon surgery (prior to 7am have a light breakfast e.g. tea and toast).
- Do not smoke.
- Do not chew gum or suck any lozenges.
- Do not wear or bring jewellery
- Do not wear make-up or nail polish (acrylic nails are acceptable unless undergoing hand surgery).
Arrive at Bellbird Private Hospital at the time indicated by the hospital. Reception staff will phone you between 4pm – 8pm the day pior to your admission with your confirmed admission time.
Day procedure patient additional information
- Please shower on the day of admission before coming to the Day Procedure Unit.
- Wear clothes that are comfortable and easy to remove
- Please Check with your Nurse before informing relatives/ friends regarding the time that you should be picked up.
- You must not drive a car until the day following your operation (your motor vehicle insurance may not cover you)
It is advisable that all patients with private health insurance contact their insurer to confirm the following:
- Your level of cover adequately covers your hospital stay including theatre and prosthesis.
- If any out of pocket expenses (ie. Excess or co-payment) are payable on admission.
An excess/ co-payment from your private health insurance will be collected on behalf of your private fund, payable on admission.
Please note – if you have been a member of your insurance company less than 12 months you may be liable for any hospital accounts for this admission.
Self- insured patients are to pay the admission estimate prior to or on admission.
Patients covered by Workcover or TAC need to ensure that a copy of authorisation for payment from the Workcover company of TAC is received prior to admission. Your operation cannot proceed without this authorisation.
Please bring your DVA card on the day of admission.
- Discharge time is 10am.
- Excluding Day Procedure patients who will be informed of their approximate discharge time on admission.
- You should arrange for someone to escort you home.
- Check with your Nurse / Doctor about continuing medication, follow – up appointment, etc.
- Rememeber to collect any x-rays or medications brought with you on admission.