Consultant Anaesthetist | MBBS FANZCA Masters (Clinical Ultrasound)
Dr Tan is a Staff Specialist Anaesthetist with keen subspecialty interests in ERAS [Enhanced Recovery After (orthopaedic) Surgery], pain medicine, regional anaesthesia, and cardio-thoracic surgery.
He works at the The Austin hospital, a tertiary level 400 bed teaching hospital that is also home to the Victorian Liver Transplant Unit and Victorian Spinal Cord Service, and has a strong academic background with over 30 peer-reviewed medical journal publications.
Dr Tan is active in anaesthesia research, continuing education and teaching, particularly in the rapidly expanding field of ultrasound applications in anaesthesia.
- MBBS Monash University
- FANZCA Australian & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists
- Masters in Clinical Ultrasound Melbourne University
- Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer (Melbourne University)
- ANZCA primary examination tutor(Austin Health)
- Ultrasound in Anaesthesia Course tutor(Austin Health)
Publications & Research
First Author Publications
1. Novel Transoesophageal Echocardiographic Views Attain Superior Incident Angles For Tricuspid, But Not Pulmonary, Valvular Doppler Interrogation. . CO. Tan, R. Hu, I. Harley, L. Weinberg. Anaesthesia & Intensive Care, 2016 September; 44(5):628-35.
2. Predictors of Severity and Nocturnal Nadir of Postoperative Oxygenation Impairment After Shoulder Surgery in the Older Population. CO. Tan, C. Kang, D. Mao, L. Sivagnanam, W. Howard, L. Weinberg. International Journal of Clinical Anaesthesiology, 2015 September, 3 (2): 1047
3. Surgical Predictors Of Acute Postoperative Pain After Hip Arthroscopy. CO.Tan, YM. Chong, P. Tran, L. Weinberg, W. Howard. BMC Anesthesiology, 2015 (15:96) ; DOI 10.1186/s12871-015-0077-x
4. Transthoracic Echocardiography Assists Appropriate Pulmonary Artery Catheter Placement in the Cardiac Surgical Patient: A Prospctive Observational Study. CO. Tan, L. Weinberg, DA. Story, L. McNicol. World Journal of Anesthesiology, 2015 July 27th; 4 (2): 30-38
5. Successful Resuscitation of Grade 4 Anaphylaxis Guided by Transthoracic Echocardiography. CO. Tan, G. Brace, L. Weinberg. Anaesthesia & Intensive Care, 2014 Jan; 42 (1): 144-145
6. Intraoperative Transoesophageal Echocardiographic Diagnosis and Successful Management of Mycotic Aortitis and Pseudoaneurysm. CO. Tan, L. Weinberg, P. Pillai, J. Fernandes. British Medical Journal Case Reports, 2013. doi:10.1136/bcr-2013-200675
7. “Adhesive Pericarditis” – Intraoperative TEE diagnosis of combined impairment of systolic and diastolic function secondary to Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. CO. Tan, L. Lim, J. Fernandes, S. Seevanayagam, L. Weinberg. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anaesthesia, 2013 Dec; 27 (6): e82-84
8. Computerized Tomographic Anatomic Relationships of the Thoracic Paravertebral Space. CO. Tan, C. Botha, L. Weinberg, DA. Story, L. McNicol. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anaesthesia, 2013 Dec; 27 (6): 1315-1320
9. An Alternative Method of Transverse In-plane Ultrasound-guided Thoracic Paravertebral Block. CO. Tan, A. Nanuan, W. Howard, L. Weinberg. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, 2013 Mar; 41 (2): 268-9
10. Size Variation Between Contralateral Infraclavicular Axillary Veins in the Adult Surgical Population. CO. Tan, L. Weinberg, D. Story, P. Peyton, L. McNicoll. Critical Care Medicine. 2013 Feb; 41 (2): 457-63
11. Transesophageal Echocardiographic Short Axis Views of the Left Atrial Appendage. CO. Tan, I. Harley. Journal of Cardiothoracic & Vascular Anaesthesia. 2011 Oct; 25 (5): e45
12. Evaluation of a Previously Undescribed Transesophageal Echocardiographic View of the Main Pulmonary Artery. CO. Tan. Journal of Cardiothoracic & Vascular Anaesthesia. 2011 Aug; 25 (4): e29-31
13. Endoscopic Assisted TOE probe insertion. CO. Tan, D. Story, L. McNicoll, T. Leaver, D. Story, J. Fernandes. Journal of Cardiothoracic & Vascular Anaesthesia. 2011 Aug; 25 (4): e26-29
14. Unholey Nasogastric Tube. CO. Tan, L. Doolan. Anaesthesia Intensive Care 2010 Jul; 38 (4): 785-6.
1. Effect of Intraoperative Low Tidal Volume versus Conventional Tidal Volume on Postoperative Pulmonary Complications in Patients Undergoing Major Surgery – A Randomized Clinical Trial. D. Karalapillai; R. Hu; B. Pearce; L. Ellard; C. Oughton; P. Hamilton; CO Tan; L. Weinberg. Journal of the American Medical Association. Accepted for publication 8th July, 2020.
2. Intrathecal morphine is associated with reduction in postoperative opioid requirements and improvement in postoperative analgesia in patients undergoing open liver resection. J. Tang; L. Churilov; CO. Tan; R. Hu; B. Pearce; L. Cosic; C. Christophi; L. Weinberg. BMC Anesthesiology 2020; 20(207): 1-11. doi.org/10.1186/s12871-020-01113-8
3. Frequency of hyperoxaemia during and after major surgery. D. Karalapillai, L. Weinberg, P. Peyton, L. Ellard, R. Hu, B. Pearce, CO Tan, DA. Story, M. O’Donnell, P. Hamilton, C. Oughton, J. Galtieri, A. Wilson, G. Eastwood, R. Bellomo and D. Jones. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 2020; 48(3): 213-220.
4. High Frequency, Low Background Rate Extrapleural Programmed Intermittent Bolus Ropivacaine Provides Superior Analgesia compared with Continuous Infusion for Acute Pain Management following Thoracic Surgery – A Retrospective Cohort Study. B. Bishop, B. Pearce, L. Willshire, M. Kilpin, W. Howard, L. Weinberg, CO. Tan. Anaesthesiology & Pain Medicine, Accepted for publication 7th September, 2019
5. Rebound Pain after Shoulder Surgery with Interscalene Brachial Plexus Blockade: How Often? How Bad? T. Thallainadesan, C. Lee, A. Mandaleson, A. Hardidge, L. Weinberg, CO. Tan. Journal of Pain Management, 2019;12(2):147-154
6. Intraoperative TOE Guided Management of Newly Diagnosed Severe Tricuspid Regurgitation & Pulmonary Hypertension during Orthotopic Liver Transplantation: A Case Report Demonstrating the Importance of Reversibility as a Favorable Prognostic Factor. B. Pearce, R. Hu, F. Desmond, D. Banyasz, R. Jones, CO. Tan. BMC Anesthesiology, Accepted for publication 29th June, 2019
7. Associations of Fluid Amount, Type and Balance with Acute Kidney Injury in Patients Undergoing Major Surgery. L. Weinberg, M. Li, L. Churilov, A. Armellini, M. Gibney, T. Hewitt, CO. Tan, R. Robbins, D. Tremewen, C. Christophi, R. Bellomo. Anaesthesia & Intensive Care, 2018 Jan; 46(1):79-87.
8. Plasmalyte 148 vs. Hartmann’s Solution for Cardiopulmonary Bypass Pump Prime: A Prospective Double-Blind Randomised Trial. L. Weinberg, DA. Story, A. Hawkins, L. Chiam, CO. Tan, A. Ellis, D. Massie, J. Hooper, R. Bollomo. Perfusion, 2018 May, 33 (4):310-319.
9. Apneic Oxygenation Versus Low-Tidal-Volume Ventilation in Anesthetized Cardiac Surgical Patients: A Prospective, Single-Center, Randomized Controlled Trial. L. Machan, L. Churilov, R. Hu, P. Peyton, CO. Tan, P. Pillai, L. Ellard, I. Harley, DA. Story, P. Hayward, G. Matalanis, N. Roubos, S. Seevanayagam, L. Weinberg. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anaesthesia, 2016 Dec 30. pii: S1053-0770(16)30735-2. doi: 10.1053/j.jvca.2016.12.019. [Epub ahead of print]
10. Postoperative Compressive Neuropathy of the Hand – Watch Out: A Case Report. L. Weinberg, CO. Tan. Journal of Medical Case Reports, 2015- 9:141 DOI: 10.1186/s13256-015-0625-5
11. The Effect of Plasmalyte-148 vs Hartmann’s Solution During Major Liver Resection: a Multicentre, Double-Blinded, Randomized Controlled Trial. L. Weinberg, B. Pearce, R. Sullivan, L. Siu, N. Scurrah, CO. Tan, M. Backtrom, M. Nikfarjam, L. McNicol, D. Story, C. Christophi, R. Bollomo. Minerval Anestesiol, 2014 Nov 19th; EPub ahead of print
12. Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Lignocaine: A Review. L. Weinberg, B. Peake, CO. Tan, M. Nikfarjam. World Journal of Anesthesiology, 2015 July 27th; 4 (2): 17-29
13. Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. TZ. Koh, A. Daly, CO. Tan, W. Howard, A. Hardidge. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery – Reviews, 2014 Jul; 2 (7): e5
14. Changing Patterns in Volatile Anaesthetic Agent Consumption Over 7 years in Victorian Public Hospitals. L. Weinberg, S. Tay, V. Aykanat, R. Segal, CO. Tan. P. Peyton, L. McNincol, DA. Story. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, 2014 Sep; 42 (5): 579-83
15. Fluid prescription practices of anesthesiologists managing patients undergoing elective colonoscopy. L. Weinberg, M. Fawlkner, CO. Tan, D. Liu, S. Tay, M. Nikfarjam, P. Peyton, D. Story. BMC Research Notes, 2014 Jun 10th; (7:356) DOI 10.1186/1756-0500-7-356
16. The Role of Fluid Intervention on the Rate of Complications and Length of Hospital Stay After Pancreaticoduodenctomy. L. Weinberg, D. Wong, D. Karalapillai, B. Pearce, CO. Tan, S. Tay, L. McNicol, R. Bellomo, C. Christophi, M. Nikfarjam. BMC Anesthesiology, 2014 May 14th; (14:35) DOI 10.1186/1471-2253-14-25
17. Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection in Pregnancy Requiring Emergency Caesarean Delivery Followed by Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. L. Weinberg, M. Ong, CO. Tan, J. McDonnell, C. Lo, E. Chiam. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, 2013 Mar; 41 (2): 251-5
18. Airway Strategies for Lung Isolation in a Patient with High-Velocity Nail Gun Injuries to the Right Cardiac Ventricle and Floor of the Mouth: A Case Report. H. Lim, L. Weinberg, CO. Tan, S. Tay, C. Kolivas, P. Peyton. Journal of Medical Case Reports, 2013 May; 7: 137