Research is a very important part of modern medicine. It helps to find out which treatments work better for patients and helps discover new treatments. It plays an essential role in monitoring current treatment and helping the patients get the right treatments for their individual problems.
Victoria University: WeMove Project
This research brings together health professionals, researchers and community members from the West of Melbourne to tackle the mental and physical health needs of individuals with musculoskeletal conditions.
Working with Western Health, we will design an e-health program that is inclusive, accessible and provides the knowledge and support needed to enhance health and wellbeing of individuals awaiting specialist care.
Tele-Assessment: The Missing Piece in Health Care Pathways for Orthopaedics
This innovative study is conducted through the Swinburne University Gait Lab, and is accessing the use of a smartphone app to measure patient movement before and after a total hip or knee replacement. If you would like to enrol for the study, please contact Luke Nichols 0439 307 710 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2015 Australia Orthopaedic Association Award for Orthopaedic Education
- 2014 American British Canadian (ABC) Travelling Fellowship
- 2014 Best Presentation and Research Paper – Victorian Branch – Australian Orthopaedic Association – Annual Scientific Meeting
The Use of a Patient Orthopaedic Website as an adjunct in surgical consent – randomised control trial (Presented by Dr Andrew Fraval)
- 2012 Western Health Excellence Award
- 2012 Victorian Public Healthcare Award – Silver
- 2011 Western Health Innovation Award
- 2011 SACS Leadership Award
- 2010 Western Health Innovation Award
- 2007 Orthoapedic Registrar Prize (AORA)
- 2002 Best Paper – Southern Trauma Symposium
- 2002 Bennett Research Prize (RACS)
- 2001 Neurosurgery Prize (RACS)
- Tran P, Morrison SG, Lade JA, Haw CS. An integrated approach to surgical audit. ANZ J Surg. 2011 May;81(5):313-4.
- Fraval A, Ming Chong Y, Holcdorf D, Plunkett V, Tran P. Internet use by orthopaedic outpatients – current trends and practices. Australas Med J. 2012;5(12):633-8.
- Chong YM, Fraval A, Chandrananth J, Plunkett V, Tran P. Assessment of the Quality of Web-based Information on Bunions. Foot Ankle Int. 2013 Mar 11
- Tran P, Pritchard M, O’Donnell J. Outcome of arthroscopic treatment for cam type femoroacetabular impingement in adolescents. ANZ J Surg. 2013 May;83(5):382-6
- Chong A, Nazarian N, Chandrananth J, Tacey M, Shepherd D, Tran P. Surgery for the correction of hallux valgus: minimum five-year results with a validated patient-reported outcome tool and regression analysis. Bone Joint J. 2015 Feb;97-B(2):208-14.
- Tan C, Tran P, Weinberg L, Howard W. Surgical predictors of acute postoperative pain after hip arthroscopy. BMC Anesthesiol. 2015 Jul 2;15:96
- Drummond J, Tran P, Fary C. Metal-on-Metal Hip Arthroplasty: A Review of Adverse Reactions and Patient Management. J Funct Biomater. 2015 Jun 26;6(3):486-99
- Fraval A, Chandrananth J, Chong YM, Coventry LS, Tran P. Internet based patient education improves informed consent for elective orthopaedic surgery: a randomized controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2015 Oct 6;16(1):283.
- Bullen M, Lang C, Tran P. Incidence of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Following Foot and Ankle Fractures Using the Budapest Criteria. Pain Med. 2016 Apr 10
- Chandrananth J, Rabinovich A, Karahalios A, Guy S, Tran P. Impact of adherence with local antibiotic prophylaxis guidelines on infection outcome after total hip or knee arthroplasty. J Hosp Infect. 2016 Aug;93(4):423-7.
- Talia A, Tran P. Bilateral patellar tendon reconstruction using LARS ligaments: case report and review of the literature. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016 Jul 20;17:302
- Tran P, Zhang B, Lade J, Pianta R, Unni R, Haw C. Periprosthetic bone remodelling after novel short-stem neck-sparing total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2016 Nov;31(11):2530-2535.
- Drummond J, Fary C, Tran P. The outcome of endoscopy for recalcitrant greater trochanteric pain syndrome. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2016 Nov;136(11):1547-1554.
- Watson NJ, Asadollahi S, Parrish F, Ridgway J, Tran P, Keating JL. Reliability of radiographic measurements for acute distal radius fractures. BMC Med Imaging. 2016 Jul 22;16(1):44
- Coventry L, Nguyen A, Karahalios A, Roshan-Zamir S, Tran P. Comparison of three different perioperative care models for patients with hip fractures within one health service. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2017 Jun;8(2):87-93
- Fraval A, Effeney P, Fiddelaers L, Smith B, Towell B, Tran P. OBTAIN A: Outcome Benefits of Tranexamic Acid in Hip Arthroplasty. A Randomized Double-Blinded Controlled Trial. J Arthroplasty. 2017 May;32(5):1516-1519
- Buikstra JG, Fary C, Tran P. Arthroscopic findings of a diagnostic dilemma- hip pathology with normal imaging. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017 Mar 21;18(1):120
- Talia AJ, Drummond J, Muirhead C, Tran P. Using a Structured Checklist to Improve the Orthopedic Ward Round: A Prospective Cohort Study. Orthopedics. 2017 Jul 1
- Harris I, Naylor JM, Lawson A, Buchbinder R, Ivers R, Balogh Z, Smith P, Mittal R, Xuan W, Howard K, Vafa A, Yates P, Rieger B, Smith G, Elkinson I, Kim W, Chehade M, Sungaran J, Latendresse K, Wong J, Viswanathan S, Richardson M, Shrestha K, Drobetz H, Tran P, Loveridge J, Page R, Hau R, Bingham R, Mulford J, Incoll I. A combined randomised and observational study of surgery for fractures in the distal radius in the elderly (CROSSFIRE)-a study protocol. BMJ Open. 2017 Jun 23
- Tirosh O, Tran P, Renouf J, Pergaminelis N, Purdie CN, Ho A, Gibbens A. PROMsBase: Web-based repository portal for patient-reported outcome measures in orthopaedics. Health Informatics J. 2017 Aug 1
- Murphy NJ, Eyles J, Bennell KL, Bohensky M, Burns A, Callaghan FM, Dickenson E, Fary C, Grieve SM, Griffin DR, Hall M, Hobson R, Kim YJ, Linklater JM, Lloyd DG, Molnar R, O’Connell RL, O’Donnell J, O’Sullivan M, Randhawa S, Reichenbach S, Saxby DJ, Singh P, Spiers L, Tran P, Wrigley TV, Hunter DJ.Protocol for a multi-centre randomised controlled trial comparing arthroscopic hip surgery to physiotherapy-led care for femoroacetabular impingement (FAI): the Australian FASHIoN trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017 Sep 26
- Pergaminelis N, Renouf J, Fary C, Tirosh O, Tran P. Outcomes of arthroscopic debridement of isolated Ligamentum Teres tears using the iHOT-33. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017 Dec 29;18(1):554
- Chandrananth J, Fraval A, Chong YM, Chandrananth M, Tran P. A Guide to Writing eHealth Websites with Orthopaedics as an Example – Readability, Reliability, Usability. J Orthop Rheumatism 2017 1(2):28-32
- Newman C, Tran P, McGregor S, Bramley D. Patient blood management strategies in total hip and knee arthroplasty. Current Orthopaedic Practice 2018 Jan 29:1
- Talia AJ, Coetzee C, Tirosh O, Tran P. Comparison of outcome measures and complication rates following three different approaches for primary total hip arthroplasty: a pragmatic randomised controlled trial. Trials. 2018 Jan 8;19(1):13. doi: 10.1186/s13063-017-2368-7.
- Suen K, Keeka M, Ailabouni R, Tran P. Synovasure ‘quick test’ is not as accurate as the laboratory-based α-defensin immunoassay: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Bone Joint J. 2018 Jan;100-B(1):66-72.
- Annabell L, Master V, Rhodes A, Moreira B, Coetzee C, Tran P. Hip pathology: the diagnostic accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging. J Orthop Surg Res. 2018 May 29;13(1):127
- Watson N, Haines T, Tran P, Keating JL. A Comparison of the Effect of One, Three, or Six Weeks of Immobilization on Function and Pain After Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of Distal Radial Fractures in Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018 Jul 5;100(13):1118-1125.
- Fraval A, Duncan S, Murray T, Duggan J, Tirosh O, Tran P. OBTAIN E: outcome benefits of tranexamic acid in hip arthroplasty with enoxaparin: a randomised double-blinded controlled trial. Hip Int. 2018 Jun
- Maxwell S, Pergaminelis N, Renouf J, Tirosh O, Tran P. Identification of a Patient Acceptable Symptomatic State Score for the International Hip Outcome Tool in People Undergoing Hip Arthroscopy. Arthroscopy. 2018 Nov;34(11):3024-3029.
- Renouf J, Pergaminelis N, Tran P, Fary C, Tirosh O. The outcome of arthroscopic repair of acetabular labral tears using the iHOT-33.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019 May 13;20(1):210
- Renouf J, Pergaminelis N, Tran P, Tirosh O, Fary C. Prevalence and Trends of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures Used in Hip Arthroscopy. Orthopedics. 2019 May 1;42(3):e305-e308. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20190403-06.
- Seah S, Quinn M, Tirosh O, Tran P. Postoperative Opioid Consumption After Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Comparison of Three Surgical Approaches.J Arthroplasty. 2019 Jun 26
- A Ho, C Purdie, O Tirosh, P Tran. Improving the response rate of patient-reported outcome measures in an Australian tertiary metropolitan hospital Patient Related Outcome Measures 10, 217
- Lawson A, Naylor J, Buchbinder R, Ivers R, Balogh Z, Smith P, Mittal R, Xuan W, Howard K, Vafa A, Yates P, Rieger B, Smith G, Elkinson I, Kim W, Sungaran J, Latendresse K, Wong J, Viswanathan S, Landale K, Drobetz H, Tran P, Page R, Hau R, Mulford J, Incoll I, Kale M, Schick B, Higgs A, Oppy A, Perriman D, Harris I. A Combined Randomised and Observational Study of Surgery for Fractures In the distal Radius in the Elderly (CROSSFIRE): a statistical analyses plan. Trials. 2020 Jul 15;21(1):651. doi: 10.1186/s13063-020-4228-0. PMID: 32669121; PMCID: PMC7364640.
- Badres IA, Suen K, Tran P. Effect of Wound Closure Technique in Proximal Femoral Fractures: A Prospective Cohort Study. J Orthop Trauma. 2020 Oct;34(10):553-558. doi: 10.1097/BOT.0000000000001781. PMID: 32332337.
- Keeka M, Tirosh O, Tran P. A safe model for implementing live streaming of surgery to improve surgical education. AMJ 2020;13(10):272–277. https://doi.org/10.35841/1836-19184.108.40.2062-277
- Savage TN, Saxby DJ, Pizzolato C, Diamond LE, Murphy NJ, Hall M, Spiers L, Eyles J, Killen BA, Suwarganda EK, Dickenson EJ, Griffin D, Fary C, O’Donnell J, Molnar R, Randhawa S, Reichenbach S, Tran P, Wrigley TV, Bennell KL, Hunter DJ, Lloyd DG. Trunk, pelvis and lower limb walking biomechanics are similarly altered in those with femoroacetabular impingement syndrome regardless of cam morphology size. Gait Posture. 2021 Jan;83:26-34. doi: 10.1016/j.gaitpost.2020.10.002. Epub 2020 Oct 10. PMID: 33069126.
- Combined Randomised and Observational Study of Surgery for Fractures in the Distal Radius in the Elderly (CROSSFIRE) Study Group, Lawson A, Naylor JM, Buchbinder R, Ivers R, Balogh ZJ, Smith P, Xuan W, Howard K, Vafa A, Perriman D, Mittal R, Yates P, Rieger B, Smith G, Adie S, Elkinson I, Kim W, Sungaran J, Latendresse K, Wong J, Viswanathan S, Landale K, Drobetz H, Tran P, Page R, Beattie S, Mulford J, Incoll I, Kale M, Schick B, Li T, Higgs A, Oppy A, Harris IA. Surgical Plating vs Closed Reduction for Fractures in the Distal Radius in Older Patients: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Surg. 2021 Jan 13:e205672. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2020.5672. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33439250; PMCID: PMC7807386.
- Rahill A, Biffin L, Fary C, Sutherland AG, Tran P. Is It Safe to Use a Lead Screen During Hip Arthroscopy? Arthrosc Sport Med Rehabil. Published online 2021. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asmr.2020.09.022
- Tan CO, Tran P, Chong YM, Howard W, Weinberg L. The ALOHA trial: (intra-articular local anaesthetic in hip arthroscopy)—a three-arm randomized trial comparing pre-emptive, high- and low-dose intra-articular local anaesthetic in hip arthroscopy. J Hip Preserv Surg. Published online February 7, 2021. doi:10.1093/jhps/hnab007
- Said CM, Delahunt M, Hardidge A, Smith P, Tran P, McDonald L, Kefalianos E, Daniel C, Berney S. Recumbent cycling to improve outcomes in people with hip fracture: a feasibility randomized trial. BMC Geriatr. 2021 Jun 29;21(1):394. doi: 10.1186/s12877-021-02321-8. PMID: 34187387; PMCID: PMC8244148.
- Hunter DJ, Eyles J, Murphy NJ, Spiers L, Burns A, Davidson E, Dickenson E, Fary C, Foster NE, Fripp J, Griffin DR, Hall M, Kim YJ, Linklater JM, Molnar R, Neubert A, O’Connell RL, O’Donnell J, O’Sullivan M, Randhawa S, Reichenbach S, Schmaranzer F, Singh P, Tran P, Wilson D, Zhang H, Bennell KL. Multi-centre randomised controlled trial comparing arthroscopic hip surgery to physiotherapist-led care for femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) syndrome on hip cartilage metabolism: the Australian FASHIoN trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2021 Aug 16;22(1):697. doi: 10.1186/s12891-021-04576-z. PMID: 34399702; PMCID: PMC8369620.
- Murphy NJ, Diamond LE, Bennell KL, Burns A, Dickenson E, Eyles J, Fary C, Grieve SM, Griffin DR, Kim YJ, Linklater JM, Lloyd DG, Molnar R, O’Connell RL, O’Donnell J, Randhawa S, J Singh P, Spiers L, Tran P, Wrigley T, Hunter DJ. Which hip morphology measures and patient factors are associated with age of onset and symptom severity in femoroacetabular impingement syndrome? Hip Int. 2021 Aug 23:11207000211038550. doi: 10.1177/11207000211038550. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34424780.
- Eyles JP, Murphy NJ, Virk S, Spiers L, Molnar R, O’Donnell J, Singh P, Tran P, Randhawa S, O’Sullivan M, Hunter DJ. Can a Hip Brace Improve Short-Term Hip-Related Quality of Life for People With Femoroacetabular Impingement and Acetabular Labral Tears: An Exploratory Randomized Trial. Clin J Sport Med. 2021 Sep 8. doi: 10.1097/JSM.0000000000000974. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34516433.